22 March 2007

Yesterday was a stir-fry day.

I had some tofu and veggies that needed to be used, so I decided to make a stir fry for me and my roommates. At first, it was just going to be cauliflower, asparagus, and tofu, but they were only selling white asparagus at the store (and asparagus tips, but I didn't want those), so I had to add a little more color to the dish. I think it turned out pretty well.

Tran's Tofu Stir Fry

Ingredients:
1 head cauliflower, florets only
1 bunch asparagus, blanched and cut to 1-inch length
5 carrots, chopped/halved/quartered to match asparagus
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped to bite-size
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped to bite-size
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T vegetable oil
1 T sesame oil
2 T fish sauce
1 T soy sauce
1 T chili flakes in oil
Tofu, cut into appropriate sized cubes and deep-fried
Rice

Heat vegetable oil and sesame oil in a large pan or wok. Add garlic and stir. Add cauliflower and carrots and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add fish sauce, soy sauce, and chili flakes; then add remaining vegetable. Stir fry for about four minutes. Add tofu and stir; lower heat to med-low and cover. Let cook for 5 minutes. Serve over rice.

I couldn't find the chili flakes in oil at the market, so I made my own. Turned out pretty nicely.

Chili Flakes in Oil

Ingredients
1 bottle sesame oil blend (sesame and canola)
1/2 onion, quartered
2 cloves garlic, smashed
3 oz. crushed red pepper flakes

Heat oil in a small sauce pan with onions and garlic until small bubbles appear. Remove from heat and add red pepper flakes. Let steep until cool. Remove onions and garlic, and transfer to a container.

No comments: